Saturday, January 6, 2007

Brazilian Music and artists - the top of my list

Two things that Brazil never stops supplying to the world are music and football. Brazilian music is on the top of my list followed by French and Italian. I find contemporary Anglo American pop music very boring and unimaginative. If you wish to buy CDs or some downloads to familiarize yourself with Brazilian Pop I’ll drop a few names to start with.

Roberto Carlos is a must. Brazilians call him Rei – the king. He performs great melodies with the best arrangements one can find. He did it for a long time. He has many albums. Any many mixed CD will do.

Yvette Sangalo and Daniela Mercury are very energetic women performing Latin pop with a lot creative beats. With their music you can dance, do aerobics and just drive to work. They are loved by young and old crowd.

Vanessa de Mata is a bit different with more of a native beat, guitar and new age sound. Seu Jorge is another original and philosophical performer for people who appreciate different.

Zeca Pagodinho is traditional samba performer with excellent chorus in the background. Paulinho da Viola is an original composer and performer. He is very good with a guitar. Sometimes he performs with an orchestra. Revelacao is a great samba bands. Banda Calypso is very original. At first I though it was corny. I could not understand why the young and the old liked them. Well, their melodies are simple and very catchy and will play in one’s head for a long time.

Two names in my list do not fit any category. Gilberto Gill (Gil) is an excellent performer and the current minister of culture in Brazil. Ney Matogroso is a very original and pleasantly sounding artist. Both are in category of their own.

There is also another group of young artists such as Scank, Sandy and Junior etc. I like them but I find them more of a trans-cultural performers. So If you want to be familiar with what young people and teens listen to in Brazil – they are good samples. I just do not find them to be origianl Brazilian sounding.

No comments: